An update on latest solutions for AIS, VHF/DSC and mobile connectivity
Most PSCC boaters are familiar with Automatic Identification System (AIS), VHF radios with Digital Selective Calling and using phones and mobile hotspots to connect to the Internet. But a lot of new developments have happened in these three areas over the last year including some unique areas of convergence.
Doug Miller, from Milltech Marine, will talk about these three areas, what’s changed over the last year and what’s available for boaters now and in the near future. These topics will include:
- New AIS solutions such as the Vesper Cortex system which also includes VHF and vessel monitoring,
- The basics of using Digital Selective Calling on modern VHF radios and why a VHF radio with AIS capabilities makes a lot of sense,
- The latest developments in high performance LTE and 5G routers and antennas for near shore mobile connectivity for both “work from boat” scenarios and keeping you connected to the Internet.
Doug Miller is president of Milltech Marine, a Port Orchard-based provider of Automatic Identification System (AIS) and marine communications solutions for the marine market. Doug founded Milltech Marine in 2005 in response to a keen interest in the emerging AIS standard and the need for solutions for recreational boaters. Over the last 15 years, Milltech Marine has sold thousands of AIS solutions to recreational, commercial and military customers. Doug is a NMEA certified Advanced Marine Electronics Installer, NMEA 2000 Installer and a Peplink Certified Sales Specialist. Doug and his wife Karin use “Naiad”, their Hunter Passage 420 sailboat, as a test bed for many of the products that are featured on Milltech Marine’s website www.milltechmarine.com.
- When: Friday May 21 at 6pm PST
- Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 899 0738 2755, Passcode: 143734